Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Odd Couples

I was walking down the street today, enjoying my last week off before classes begin and noticed something rather interesting. Most couples that I encountered were not what I would call on the same level ...physically. In almost every situation one person was substantially more attractive than the other and that seemed strange to me at the time. To clarify, I'm not as superficial as you might think after reading this post and will be the first to admit that I prefer other qualities that are definitely more important than appearance. However, I've always subconsciously divided people into 3 distinct categories in terms of appearance: 1. universally attractive 2. universally unattractive 3. The middles which could float either way depending on the person.
You would think that the universally un/attractive people would naturally gravitate towards each other. Furthermore, it has been scientifically proven that we like people that happen to look like ourselves, but it just didn't seem to work out that way during my walk. Maybe the unsuperficial qualities about a person trumps the superficial in most cases, which I really hope is true. If that's the case then I'm not sure why American culture is so preoccupied by outward beauty. Do you even think the people in the relationships realize that either they are the pretty or ugly one? That's seems a bit harsh, but this is my blog and I didn't feel like rephrasing haha. Anyway, I'm just curious to see if any of you know why this may happen...

7 comments:

A Margarita said...

I think the world always try to achieve balance. Would it be fair if all the beautiful people were together and then the uglies dated each other? I feel this is why you have to have a pretty one and an "uglier" one.

Brad Pitt and Angelina are breaking the rules. I should break that up in the spirit of fairness ;)

Anonymous said...

Well as a guy, girls aren't divided up into 3 categories. We use a scale system but it only goes from 5-10. :-/

Elle said...

So after having a comment from the anonymous commenter he provided me with a list of 5-10 and I thought it was hilarious!!

5 is just ugly
6 is ugly with an ok body
7 is ugly with a nice body
8 is ok face with a nice body
9 is nice face with a nice body
10 is perfect face with a perfect body

RandomDoug said...

Wow, you are vicious, but at least you are honest.

Helly said...

I think the beautiful people purposefully hook up with the less attractive ones because then you know they'll always be humble and ever-grateful and BOW TO YOUR WILL! Mwahahahaha!

Although...actually...my husband's pretty cute. Holy crap, does that mean I'M the ugly one?!?

Elle said...

haha i'm sure you're the pretty one regardless of what your husband looks like!! You just probably don't fall into the scenario that I'm referring to.

megabrooke said...

ha, reminds me of that mad tv skit/commercial "lowered expectations"- when the dude is really good looking and the girl is really.... rought. or it might be the other way around, but it's one of those type situations.