Monday, March 23, 2009

Chivalry vs. Equal Rights...


So I’m just wondering…when did equal rights start becoming an argument against acting like a gentleman? I was at the grocery store with a guy friend the other day when he made a big deal about carrying my bag. I was like you have to be kidding me…are you really going to make me carry this bag when you’re standing here carrying nothing?! You would have thought that I just asked him to schedule me an appointment with the Dalai Lama. In the end he did carry the bag, but I was so disgusting by the fact that 1. I had to ask and 2. he made a big deal about it stating "women always want equal rights until it’s inconvenient for them!" Do men really feel this way? And if they do, how do they possibly get girls this way?

When my brother was growing up we made a point of teaching him the importance of being a gentleman, so now he has a girlfriend who raves about how well he treats her. He opens doors, picks up the tab when they are out, buys flowers for her and her mom when he comes back from school during break etc. I personally think we did a fabulous job! Don't get me wrong; I don’t think it should be unrequited by any means. His girlfriend returns the gestures by bringing over his favorite baked goods, getting him thoughtful little gifts and just being a great woman overall. I get the impression that they both feel lucky to have each other.

Overall, I just don’t get the big deal…

3 comments:

A Margarita said...

The guy you were with was obviously not raised right.

Elle, too bad you don't have an older brother you can send my way ;)

It drives me crazy when guys let a door slam in my face. Never mind holding the door open and letting me pass through first, but not even holding it so it doesn't swing? Animals.

dAndy ManCandy said...

I've seen what you are talking about. I am from the South (born and raised - yee-haw) and I was brought up the same way your brother was. Manners were essential to my upbringing. Especially yes-maam and no-maam and what not. In the corporate/professional world though I have been told that calling a woman by maam is now politically incorrect so go figure. As for door opening and all that jazz I do it for any woman anywhere. Groecery store, gas station, whatever. That's just how I was raised. I do all that for my girl as well, but I will let her occasionally get the tab if we go out. We keep it even Stevens.

Elle said...

Aww...I'm so glad there are still some of you out there hehe! Yea...I understand splitting the tab sometimes too. You seem to be doing a fabulous job as well :)