Friday, March 13, 2009

Random Thought...Pet Names?

I’ve never been one to like pet names. Some guys call you them so they don’t mix up your names with the other girls they are dating or they just seem to have a penchant for them. I should probably take a page out of their book considering I recently called a guy by someone else’s name on more than one occasion….oops!

Either way…just don’t do it with me if the name is anything other than babe or baby. I’ve had guys call me cupcake, darling, sugar plum and I literally cringe when it comes out of their mouths. Maybe I’m just cold-hearted but I literally can’t stand it. However, last night a friend said ‘goodnight gorgeous’ and I actually smiled and thought it was the sweetest thing. I don’t know…I think I just have a problem when pet names make me sound like I’m one of strawberry shortcake’s neighbors :-/

5 comments:

A Margarita said...

I love pet names! They get extra points with me if they're creative about it.

Personally, I like to give them pet names too. There is an advantage if ah, you're seeing multiple people, but there's something satisfying about patting someone on the head and calling them, "Puppy," that might be patronizing too, I don't know ;)

dAndy ManCandy said...

What about sweetpants?

Elle said...

haha...sorry that one won't work either :)

Helly said...

We don't call each other made-up goofy things, a la Seinfeld's "Shmoopy" episode but we do call each other words of endearment, mostly 'sweetheart' and 'darling'. Lots of times he calls me 'love', which I just...uh, love - as in "Alan!" "Yes, love?" But shmoopy-style, honey bumpkins, cuddle-muffin stuff would make me nauseous.

Elle said...

I like sweetheart too :) I'm gonna remember these so I can offer other suggestions if the person isn't good at picking names haha! Thanks for the tip!