Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Platonic or Platonot...


I always question the possiblity of developing purely platonic relationships, especially with two attractive people. Is it possible for a man and women to be simply friends when we are designed by nature to be physically attracted to one another? From what I've learned and experienced I would have to say it really depends on how and when you met. When I sat down to write this post, I thought platonic relationships are deifnitely possible! I have a lot of male friends! However, platonic by nature means that if given the opportunity neither party would jump at the chance to get in the other's pants. So I started to reevaluate my long list of guy friends and began crossing off people for reasons such as , "if we both had too much to drink, yea he'd definately try something" "if he didn't have a gf, yea he'd probably ask me out" By the end of this process I had approximately 3 guys who I think are completely platonic.
In most situations, an attraction between two people is present from day 1, but sometimes circumstance makes us push that feeling into the back of your mind to just look at someone in a friendly manner. He is a co-worker, a playboy...someone else's boyfriend. Anyways, the problem with this tactic is that many times these feelings can resurface with a vengeance. It's like trying to sink a piece of wood...it will stay under water if you constantly hold it down but the minute you let up, it's back floating at the top. So I think platonic relationships might actually be possible but they require a lot of work to keep them that way.
Knowing one's limits is definitely key because the moment one party forgets to maintain control, a non-platonic relatinship will probably resurface placing the entire relationship in jeopardy.

1 comment:

A Margarita said...

I am with you on the only 3 male platonic friends, and I always think twice about elevating those "friend" relationships with men to the next level.

It's definitely about the self-control, keeping them strictly in the friend zone. I wish I had more of it, haha.